Sunday, February 3, 2008

RunningRamblings #0002: The Country Road Run

You may have noticed there was no race report for the January 19, Shooting Star 5-mile run. Why? Because it was freezing and I chickened out. I mean seriously, I had no desire to get out of my warm bed and run in 20-something degree temperatures for a mere 5-miles. Of course, no sooner did I blow that off that I began to feel guilty. So this morning I ran the Country Road Run, another 5-mile race. It was still in the 20's but I figured I needed to get back in the swing of things and this could make up for the Shooting Star.

This race was held in Olney, MD along, as you might imagine, a country road. Despite the fact that it was cold, the run was really good. They just posted results and 290 people ran. I came in 79th with a time of 36:36. 69th out of men, 18/31 in my age group, and a 7:20pace. That's a good time for me considering I hadn't run much the week prior and didn't decide to participate until about 1:00am the night before.

As is usually the case, the food was very good, especially for a club race, and the course marshalls did a wonderful job keeping people aware of cars, ice, etc. Double thumbs-up go to those brave souls manning the water station. I doubt I could pass out water when it's that cold.

Overall, that's about all there is to report. I was able to kill two birds with one stone by participating in the race and creating a podcast. I didn't record while I ran but I did capture some of the pre- and post-race sounds. Give it a listen either here (RunningRamblings #0002) or by subscribing to the feed in iTunes, itpc://www.podshow.com/feeds/runningrambling.xml.

No comments: